The old adage prevention is better than cure is certainly true when it comes to home security; preventing a home burglary is far better than dealing with the aftermath of one. Here are our five top tips for keeping your property safe this holiday season:
- Before you leave the house, make sure that all windows and door are securely locked (event he windows that you think aren't easily accessible). Also lock garages, sheds and gates.
- Light it up. Install a sensor light. If you already have, make sure that it's switched on when you leave. Also consider having an inside light / lamp set on a timer.
- Ask a neighbour or friend to clear your mailbox. An overflowing mailbox is a sure sign that no one is home.
- Leave curtains open and blinds up. Would be thieves often investigate targets during the day, if the curtains are closed it can indicate no one is home.
- Don't leave tools, ladders etc lying around which could make it easier for thieves to break in.
For more tips and general advise regarding securing your valuables visit consumer.org.nz.